What is BushCam Adventures?

BushCam Adventures attempts to share some of the amazing images, stories and insights that I've collected during my camera-trapping adventures.

Monday 8 October 2012

Lovely Legs

When setting up a trailcam I usually attempt to position it about 18" off the ground. I do this for a couple of reasons:
- it usually means that you don't miss the little guys, like a mongoose, that pass close by to the camera
- a lot of wildlife photography (especially that of mammals) shows the subject level with, or slightly below, the photographer. I've got bored with this slightly 'superior' feel to wildlife photographs and so now prefer the quirky images that I get from the low angles.

What it does mean though is that I get a lot of leg shots when large mammals walk too close to the camera. Ideally, you might say, I should position the camera further away from the likely path that an animal might take. That's absolutely true but one doesn't always have too many options.

Notwithstanding the benefits of a well-framed photograph I always enjoy my leg shots. I think they often give a better 'sense of place' than would a photo of, say, an antelope's rump.











3 comments:

  1. Excellent, man!

    It would be so incredible to camera trap all of that megafauna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the one with all the giraffe legs, quite artistic :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys.
    Trailblazer, you have got to find a way to get over here! Win the lottery or something.

    ReplyDelete